Sun Aug 2 (Free Event) @ 5.30pm
Where's the boundary between personal preference and racism?
A moderator will chair a unique panel of speakers from different ethnic and gender backgrounds, posing a series of hypothetical dilemmas.
Each hypothetical will look at an aspect of our community:
· Are there ethnic hierarchies in our GLBTIQ communities, and if so, how is this evident?
· Are such ethnic hierarchies the same when we are looking for a serious relationship as opposed to just cruising?
· Does each ethnic culture have a typical set of values and behaviours?
· Do different ethnic cultures have reputations in our communities? Do people resent this or does it empower them?
· Does having a personal preference imply discrimination? Is discrimination racism?
· Is it OK to fetishise people according to their ethnic background?
· Is there a way that we can seek out our preferences, while still maintaining each other's dignity?